Thank you for your ongoing support of Fishers Island Conservancy!

Dear FIConservancy Community,

With the persistent winds flowing from the north, we on the island are saying a reluctant goodbye to the busy season. As the year winds down, it’s gratifying to think about what the Fishers Island Conservancy has accomplished, thanks to your generous support. Please see highlights from this year below.

With your help, we’re looking forward to an exciting and productive 2024! Please consider giving today at

I want to give a special shout-out to our partners at the Fishers Island Ferry District, who make the Parade grounds and Ferry Park possible, and to the Fishers Island Fire Department, which oversees the annual burn that keeps the Parade grounds environmentally healthy.

My sincerest thanks to our team, board and each one of you, who is making a difference by giving, volunteering, collecting marine debris, attending our events, planting native species and more to help conserve and protect Fishers Island.

A gift to the Fishers Island Conservancy is a gift to Fishers Island. Please donate today. Your ongoing support is essential to our work. Thank you.


Tom Sargent

President, Fishers Island Conservancy

P.S. Got Phragmites? Give us a call. FIConservancy has partnered with a New York State licensed contractor to assist with the removal of highly invasive phragmites. We are helping private land owners coordinate with this contractor to address infestations on their own properties. Contact us today.

Thanks to your support, in 2023:

  • The ongoing work on our restored grasslands at the Fort Wright Parade Grounds never looked better and attracted many visitors. The paths were well maintained and offered a wonderful respite from an increasingly hectic world. Please come down and explore the 175 acres of meadowlands. If you’re lucky, you might witness our resident northern harriers hunting over the grasslands.
  • The new Ferry Park at the entrance to Silver Eel Cove was a true beneficiary of the rainy summer. The wildflower knoll was ablaze with color all season long. The 12,000 Virginia beach grass plugs planted there thrived, and quickly became a nesting ground for the saltmarsh sparrow. To protect the new habitat, FIConservancy worked with the Ferry District to install several hundred feet of natural material guardrail along the entire berm.
  • Our Sentinel Program had its most successful year to date. Under the leadership of program director, Stephanie Hall, eleven student environmentalists, ranging in age from 14 to 21, in addition to our stellar University of New Mexico intern, Anna White, monitored 14 distinct island sites, took measurements and observations. This collected data will help us further understand our fragile environment.
  • Our Marine Debris program, run by Michele Klimczak, continues to make headlines both on and off the Island. Michele’s work was the subject of artist Duke Riley’s film MICHELE in his exhibition DEATH TO THE LIVING, Long Live Trash at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Approximately half the plastic used in the exhibition was collected by Michele on Fishers Island.
  • We continue to work with the Ferguson Museum on the Fishers Island Seagrass Coalition to educate our community about the critical importance of protecting our marine environment from upland and water-borne threats. Seagrasses have declined in Long Island Sound by up to 97%. These ecosystems serve as a marine nursery for many species. The remaining 3% is mostly found around Fishers Island. We are committed to keeping this population healthy and growing.
  • We honored Joe Henderson, a leader in habitat restoration, at our annual Sunset on the Beach event in July. It was Joe’s vision which prompted our work on the Parade Grounds and he continues to be a valuable asset to our community.
  • Nature Days, chaired by our Executive Director, Kristen Peterson, was held in early August. Several stations in the Parade Grounds featured native plants and animals. This event is always a hit with children and adults alike.
  • Plus much more!

Make a tax-deductible contribution today

Annual Giving

Donate By Mail

In addition to PayPal contribution options, you can also mail your donation to:

The Fishers Island Conservancy
PO Box 553
Fishers Island NY 06390

For questions or concerns, please contact Kristen Peterson by phone at (631) 788-5609 or email at

The Fishers Island Conservancy is a non-profit organization formed under the laws of the State of New York and is exempt under the Internal Revenue Code 501 (C) (3). Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent provided by the law.


Tom Sargent


Laurie Marshall

Vice President

Ben Strong


Gussie Foshay-Rothfeld


Board Members

Andrew Ahrens

Don Beck

Marina Caillaud

Lauryn Carbone

Geb Cook

Dianne Crary

Reynolds duPont

Jane Harvey

Joe Henderson

Emmy Hobson

Ted McGraw

Betty Ann Rubinow

Bronya Shillo

Tom Siebens

Ben Strong

Christabel Vartanian